Welcome to Moore Elementary School where we operate under the theme “There is No Place Like Moore!!”
The mission of Marshall T. Moore Elementary School, in partnership with our school community, is to provide a safe environment that offers the opportunity for a quality education that meets our students’ unique and diverse needs so that they may become independent, responsible and productive citizens.
Moore Elementary is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. High standards for quality education are assured by membership in NCA. This accreditation is based on the school’s commitment to excellence and quality programs.
Marshall T. Moore Elementary opened in the fall of 2000. It was named for one of the district's first Board members who were instrumental in consolidating four small, rural districts into what is now Union. The school was built on land which was originally part of the Moore farm.
About Marshall T. Moore
Mr. Moore moved to this area of 71st and Garnett in 1903 with his parents from Missouri. The Moore’s purchased their farm, which now Marshall T. Moore Elementary is a part of, from a Creek Indian by the name of Hattie Childers, from her original allotment.
Mr. Moore married Amy Lytle in 1910. Amy Lytle’s father farmed land in the 71st and Sheridan area, also part of the current Union School District. Mr. Moore farmed his land continuously, but in 1917 was an U.S. Marshall for the Alcohol, Tax and Firearm Division until 1928. From 1928 until his death he continued his farming as well as in the production of natural gas wells.
It was Mr. Moore, along with his father-in-law, brother-in-law, and a cousin, who worked within the four “one room” schools of this area to form Union Consolidated Schools. Mr. Moore was a member of the first school board, of which had his father-in-law as its first board president.
Mr. Moore had seven children, all of which attended Union Schools from 1st-12th grades. Those children and their dates of graduation are as follows: Ted and Betty, 1982; John, 1935; Hele, 1941; Mary Gene, 1944; Ruth Ann, 1946; and Neil, 1949. Neil still lives on the original homestead - west across the creek from the concrete plant on 71st , west of 129th E. Ave.
Marshall Moore was a member of the Union School Board from 1918 to 1933. He worked very hard to convince the patrons of those four small schools that is would be in their best interest to consolidate into one school system. He had the foresight to envision that the opportunities for the students of this area would be greatly enhanced from this “union”.
Lindsay Smith was named Principal at Moore Elementary in May 2013. Previously, Smith was the assistant principal at Jarman Elementary for the 2012-2013 school year and the administrative intern at McAuliffe Elementary for the 2011-2012 school year.
Smith earned a master’s degree in educational administration from the University of Oklahoma. Also, Smith earned a bachelor’s degree from The University of Arizona where she majored in political science and earned a double minor in Spanish and Africana Studies.
Smith taught second and third grade at Rosa Parks Elementary. She also worked for San Miguel Middle School of Tulsa. Additionally, Smith has worked for Teach For America in New York City as a recruitment associate and in Houston, Texas, where she served as a fifth grade teacher.