Why Families Choose Union
10 Reasons Why Families choose Union Public Schools
1. 100% Graduation; 100% College/Career Ready – With the motto, "Together We Make a Difference," the Union community and its many public and private partners are committed to academic excellence. Ensuring all students graduate from high school, prepared for college or career success, guides our practice Pre-K through 12th grade.
2. Rosa Parks Early Childhood Education Center – Partnering with the Community Action Project, Union provides a full-day, year-round program for income-eligible 3-year-olds. The site embraces the world-renowned Reggio Emilia philosophy of rich language development, fine arts exploration, and problem solving in a beautiful, family-friendly facility.
3. Full-Day Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten Programs – All 13 Union elementary schools offer innovative, developmentally appropriate programming that builds academic and social skills from the very beginning.
4. Individualized Teaching and Learning – At both the elementary level (Pre-K through 5th grade) and at our secondary schools (6th grade through 12th), caring, dedicated teachers and administrators get to know each student and gear instruction to that individual’s needs—whether for advanced challenges or extra assistance.
5. Student Involvement – Union believes an engaged student is a successful student. The district offers 167 non-competitive intramural teams, 23 competitive sports, a rich array of clubs (from environmental to robotics and everything in between), and award-winning music and theater programs at every level.
6. Nationally Recognized Community Schools – The 6/7th Grade Center and eight Union elementaries are structured as full-service community schools. They are recognized for their work for neighborhood development, parent involvement, academic enrichment, physical and mental health, and family activities to create student achievement. Data point to increased attendance, reduced mobility, and improved academic success as a result of partnerships with community agencies, businesses, faith-based organizations, and foundations.
7. Union Collegiate Academy – This wing of Union High School incorporates science labs, tiered lecture halls, Wi-Fi enabled student lounges, cafés, and a roof-top “green” classroom to create a collegiate (or college-like) setting. Here, students can meet high school graduation requirements while earning college credits – virtually free of charge – from Tulsa Community College. Advanced Placement courses, the Union Virtual Learning Academy, Tulsa Technology Center, and Union Career Connect internships provide an array of options to prepare students for college or the workforce.
8. STEM Emphasis – From science labs at every elementary, to our advanced science and math courses at the High School, Union offers a wide range of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics opportunities. Union is the first district in the state to utilize the award-winning Project Lead the Way curricula to offer biomedical, engineering, and computer science coursework in grades K-12.
9. Outstanding Teachers – Union teachers are among the best. Several are recipients of prestigious national honors such as the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science and the Milken Foundation Award of Excellence. A high percentage of them have master’s degrees or higher, and more than 80 are Nationally Board Certified.
10. Engaged and Supportive Families – Parents are not only involved in their student’s academic and school-related activities, they consistently pass annual bond proposals by impressive percentages to provide and maintain some of the best-equipped and most up-to-date school facilities in the state.