Union Collegiate Academy
/ Letter of Recommendation Form / This form may be given to your college recommenders if they do not have a specific form.
Tips for using a letter of recommendation.
- Determine if you actually need a letter of recommendation—the college or scholarship application will let you know. Do not solicit letters for a need you might have.
- Complete the Letter of Recommendation form and make copies to offer your recommenders. They may prefer to use their own forms, but you are prepared nonetheless.
- Ask for recommendations from teachers and others that know you well and are likely to take the time to write thoughtful comments.
- Ask for a recommendation from a teacher in the field in which you may wish to major, preferably a teacher who is genuinely interested in your future.
- Be sure and ask for recommendations well in advance (several weeks) of the deadline.
- Check back with your recommender in about three weeks as a “friendly reminder” in case they have forgotten about your letter.
- Provide stamped envelopes that are preaddressed to the colleges or the scholarship committee.
- Thank the teacher. Writing a good letter of recommendation is time intensive. At the very least, you should write a sincere thank you note! Be sure and inform the teacher about the result of his or her letter (admission or scholarship).