- Home /
- Activities /
The Union Spirit program - which is part of the Athletics Department - exists to promote school spirit at Union sporting and community events. The success of Union spirit squads has led to unparalleled growth and demand for additional activities. The Union Spirit program encompasses Grades 8-12. Almost three-fourths of those squads hold some type of state, regional or national title.
Spirit Tryouts 2019-2010
|2019-2020 SPIRIT TRYOUT DATES & TIMES|
|PLEASE NOTE: You must provide a copy of a sports physical dated after
May 1, 2018 to participate in a tryout clinic.*
|March 14||6pm||UMAC Classrooms|
|Clinic||March 25-16||4:30 - 6:30pm||UHS Gym & Spirit Room|
(Exact time TBA)
Parent Meeting- HS
|April 1||7pm||UMAC Classrooms|
Parent Meeting- JH
|April 8||7pm||9th GC Commons|
|March 27||6:00pm||UCA Grand Hall|
|Clinic||April 1-3||4:30-6:30pm||UHS Gym & Spirit Room|
(Exact time TBA)
|UHS Gym & Spirit Room|
|April 10||6pm||UCA Grand Hall|
|April 2||6:30pm||UMAC Classrooms|
|Clinic||April 8-10||5-7:00pm||UHS Gym|
(Exact time TBA)
|To Be Announced||
Spirit Program (8-12th)
Union spirit squads are truly among the best in Oklahoma and in the United States. Varsity Pom and the Highsteppers, Union’s Varsity Dance Team, continue their tradition of excellence, racking up state and national accolades as well. They are outstanding performers and are an integral part of all football, basketball and wrestling events. In addition, spirit squads perfrom at pep rallys, kick-offs and other school events. Most importantly, they instill pride, character and teamwork in their members and offer students many valuable opportunities to develop skills that will stay with them for a lifetime to come.
The Union Spirit program provides positive, challenging programs in which dedication to excellence and promotion of school spirit is emphasized. Through a consistent, disciplined and leveled approach, parents, coaches and administrators work together to ensure each squad member receives the following benefits of the program:
- Competency in many movement forms and proficiency in a few movement forms
- Knowledge and application of movement concepts and principles to the learning and development of motor skills
- Maintenance of a health-enhancing level of physical fitness
- Knowledge and application of positive personal and social behavior in physical activity settings
- Knowledge and application of respecting differences among people in physical activity settings
- Knowledge and application of physical activity and the enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and social interaction that comes from physical activity
In addition being a competitive member of a Union Spirit Squad will provide an:
- Increased level of physical fitness and performance skills in a safe environment
- Ability to work as a contributing member of a team, sharing the team's common goal and purpose
- Ability to respect themselves, peers and adult authority figures
- A clear understanding and demonstration of the rules of good sportsmanship
- Increased academic performance level
Students are required to tryout to be a member of a secondary spirit squad. Spirit clinics will be held each spring and are supervised by an assistant athletic director and the coaches from each discipline. All candidates must attend everyday of spirit clinics to tryout. Tryouts take place in the spring for the following year.
Spirit Squad Make-Up
Union Spirit Squads may be made up of the following grade levels:
Pom / Cheer
Varsity – 12th, 11th, 10th and 9th grades
JV – 11th and 10th grades
Ninth – 9th grade
Eighth – 8th grade
Highsteppers (Varsity) – 12th, 11th, 10th and 9th grades
JV Highsteppers (JV) – 11th, 10th and 9th grades
8th Grade Highsteppers
All secondary squad memebers must attend summer camp. Summer camp is mandatory. After the new squads are chosen in the spring, mandatory practices prior to summer camp will occur to prepare for the competition held at camp.
Squads may begin practicing at the coach’s discretion following Aug. 1 of the given school year.
Practice times for the 8th Grade squads is after school. Specific practice times and locations are determined solely by the coaches.
Varsity, JV and 9th Grade squads are given one hour during the school day to practice. Additional practices before and after school will be scheduled as well.
Competitions are encouraged and expected for our cheerleading squads. The following is an approximation for the squads:
- Varsity squad participants should plan to attend a State competition and an additonal 3-4 competitions per year including Regional and National level competitions.
- Junior-Varsity squad participants should plan to attend State competition and an additonal 3-4 competitions per year including Regional and National level competitions. Any competitions out-of-state but will be within an approved driving distance of 5 hours or 300 miles from the Tulsa area.
- 9th grade squad participants should plan to attend a State competition and an additonal 2-3 in-state competitions
- 8th grade squad participants should plan to attend State competition and an additonal 2-3 in-state competitions.
- All competitions will be chosen by the coaches and approed by the director of atheltics.
- All competition times, locations and dates will be announced at a later date.
Union Youth Football Association - Spirit
UYFA consists of spirit squads 1-7.
For Information contact: Union Youth Football Association
(Member of Indian Nations Football Conference)
UYFA website: www.uyfa.org
UYFA Spirit website: www.uyfaspirit.webs.com
6836 S. Mingo Road
Tulsa, OK 74133
Web Page Updates
Physical forms and other athletics forms may be found on the main Athletics page.